A Brief History of Puerto Rico Baptist College
Puerto Rico Baptist College is an independent fundamental Baptist college organized with the help of fundamental Baptist churches of Puerto Rico and the United States. Dr. M. A. Casillas, founder and president of the College, is a missionary and pastor of vast experience. The College is led by a Board of Trustees made up of pastors and laymen from Puerto Rico and the United States.
The Puerto Rico Baptist College is designed to meet the spiritual, intellectual and social needs of each student, under the guidance of the Word of God, and with the goal of producing lasting results. The College operates with what the students are able to pay and with the financial help of churches and individuals. The College utilizes an adjunct faculty of area pastors and missionaries which donate their services, keeping costs to a minimum for students.
On November 27, 1979, delegates of 14 independent fundamental Baptist churches met at the Conservatory of Music in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico, with the purpose of dedicating Puerto Rico Baptist College. The 200 delegates asked God’s blessings over this project which had been on the hearts of the Executive Committee for three years.
Highlights in PRBC’S History
- 1970 PRBC begins as a Bible Institute offering evening courses towards a certificate in Bible.
- 1975 Dr. Gilbert Stenholm speaks at the first graduation of the Bible Institute.
- 1978 First annual island-wide Bible Conference sponsored by the Bible Institute.
- 1979 The Lord leads Dr. Mike Casillas and 3 other missionaries to convert the Bible Institute into Puerto Rico Baptist College. Later that year 14 independent fundamental Baptist churches meet with the purpose of dedicating the Puerto Rico Baptist College.
- 1980 First PRBC classes begin.
- 1984 First PRBC graduation. Ten students received degrees and diplomas in Bible, Pastoral Studies and Christian Education.
- 1985 PRBC welcomes its first foreign students, since then students from over 12 countries as well as from the US have received training at PRBC.
- 1986 Mrs. Beneth Jones speaks at PRBC’s first annual island-wide Ladies’ Jubilee.
- 1992 PRBC hires Suni Ponce on a full-time basis. He teaches a full load of classes and serves as counselor to the student body.
- 1995 Missionaries Ron and Kathy Burget join PRBC full-time. They both teach, fulfill various administrative roles and supervise the student dormitories.
- 1996 PRBC begins its English program to help train students from neighboring English-speaking islands as well as Hispanic immigrants from the mainland who have received their education in English but who speak Spanish at home and in church.
- 2001 First annual island-wide Men’s Retreat sponsored by PRBC.
- 2004 First PRBC yearbook is presented.
- 2006 Rev. Doug Cowan is elected President of the Board of Trustees. This new leadership is committed to the development of the ministry as the Lord provides.
- 2007 Missionaries Bryan and Karen Malik join PRBC full-time. Bryan serves on the faculty and in various administrative responsibilities. Karen teaches piano and accompanies the choir.
- 2010 Missionaries David and Roxana Keiser join PRBC full-time.